Tuesday, April 27, 2010

General Quiet Book Information...















I have wanted to do a Quiet Book for a long time, when I finally got serious about making it I didn't even know where to start! So.... after hours of perusing craft blogs to get ideas I compiled a list of pages that I wanted to do from various blogs and created a few pages of my own. There are SO many ideas and ways of making your own personal family Quiet Book but I will include instructions on how I made THIS particular book, feel free to glean what you will, I hope it is helpful. I am obviously providing very basic information because a lot of it is common sense but if you have specific questions you can e-mail me at emandbart@gmail.com

First off.... Don't be scared this project was not as hard as I thought it would be!........

Emily's Tips:
Start off deciding the general size and design of your book. For example, do you want 12" pages? Do you want handles to carry around the book or a flap that closes the book? Are you going to make the pages out of cotton or muslin?

I started off by getting 1/2 yard of 2 different matching fabrics from Hobby Lobby to make the cover. You will also need 1 yard or so of THIN batting for the cover and pages, as well as 2-3 yards of Muslin and FUSIBLE interfacing. The interfacing is essential. The yardage will depend on how many pages you plan on fitting in your book. I did 12 pages and the book is really thick, I can't imagine doing too many more. With these materials in tow you can get a good start on the book.

If you use rings that easily open and close you can make additional pages and each week switch out the pages that you take to Church.

Cut your muslin 13" by 13" to allow for plenty of seam allowance when you sew the pages together. Cut each interfacing piece 13" by 13" as well. Follow the instructions on the interfacing and iron the interfacing on to each back piece of the muslin. At this point sew ALL of the elements on the pages that you want. KEEP IN MIND: Some of the page elements will need to be geared more towards the left while the other half more towards the right to allow for front and back pages that will be centered when you sew them together. After the pages are all ready put them front to front put a piece of batting on the back of one of the pages and sew around all but 6 inches of the islet side. Pull the pages right side out and finish by sewing a straight stitch 1/8" from the edge of all of the finished pages to secure in the batting even more. Add islets on the side of each page to hold all of the pages together with rings.

The cover can be done many ways, I basically measured the pages and sewed 2 pieces of fabric together with batting in the middle, attached a handle to carry it around, a flap to close it and my mom put in button holes to put the rings in.

Ok....time to get stared on the pages!......

No comments:

Post a Comment